RE: 4000csq belt squeeking at start

Well, I always loose all alternator bolts when attempting to tighten the
belt. My observation is that the adjusting gear is made of way too soft
material - both times I tried to tighten the belt using the gear I
simply could not apply enough torque - the teeth were breaking way
before achieving correct belt tension. On my 87 5KT the AC comperssor
has indentical adjusting mechanism - I found both the alternator and AC
compressor much easier to adjust using simple pry bar. I don't know,
maybe the bolts I bought weren't OE quality, but d*mn, they costed me 7
bucks each. I like the PS pump adjusting mechanism - you aren't in hurry
because you must keep the pry bar/wrench at correct torque. And you
could easily and precisely measure the belt tension using dynamometer,
if only Audi provided the specs.

Aleksander Mierzwa
Warsaw, Poland
87 Audi 5000CS turbo (mine)