RE: quattro-digest V4 #1583

> Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 10:42:15 -0500 (EST)
> From: Andrew Duane USG/PE <duane@zk3.dec.com>
> Subject: Re: Strut prices
> Hairy green toads from Mars made Sachelle Babbar say:
> > I'm looking for something of a performance type strut cart (not necessary,
> > though). I would like to know what performs well,lasts long and is cheap.
> > I actually would try to stay away from the performance strut just because
> > I do a lot of city driving on bad roads. Ive seen like gabriel and monroe
> > for good prices, but don't know. The ones I've got in my car right now are
> > NAPA's. They were priced well and made in Germany (usually that means by
> > the same manufacturer). They worked well, but they didn't handle the power
> > very well of my Turbo (they were in my old 5ks with 2k miles on them).
> > They're a little on the soft side now. I'm looking for something that will
> > last a while. Bilsteins may be too pricey.
> I just had a set of Boge Turbo Gas installed in Angela's 90Q20V.
> The fronts needed struts, too. Total cost was about $500 + 2 hours
> labor.
> I've used the TG before, and like them a lot. Almost as good as
> Bilstein (with a better ride) for a lot less $$$.
> I have the Koni reds in my 100Q, and am underwhelmed. Gonna replace
> them with Boges when the war chest is replenished.

You (Andrew) paid $500 for four (4) Boge Turbo Gas (just the shock/struts),

I recently paid $437 (incl shipping) for four (4) Bilstein Sport (just the
shock/struts) from RD.

Just how much do you "Bilsteins-are-too-expensive" people think Bilsteins cost?

Enquiring minds want to know,
Henry Harper
1991 200 quattro, 81k, car for slippery stuff, where did the snow go?
1988 GTI 16v, 173k, car for non-slippery stuff