RE: New problems with the 200t....

Gerard wrote:

	>I'm just returned from Cape Town (sea level) back to the place
	>I work (upcountry). I've travelled 1300km (see, I got the thing
	>this time, didn't say  1300km/h) in 8.5 hours.

Just curious: what are the speed limits in South Africa? :-)

	>The T-piece for the breather pipes is torn and I don't have the
	>to fix it right now. Could this be the cause of the surging?
	>this slight surging is from an air leak somewhere.

Yes, it causes serious vacuum leak. It's actually not expensive to fix -
I went to a small shop that specializes in automotive rubber parts.
Bough a plastic T-piece and and a rubber hose of correct diameter. Cut
three pieces of rubber hose, fitted them onto the t-piece... voila, a
replacement for under 5 bucks. Also check the fat hose that goes to the

	>The next problem, this has been happening for  ages and I can't
	>it: when idling the is a rumbling noise (actually if I had to
	>down the sound in letters it would be "Woo Voo", a sought of
	>rumble that alternates between a low and a slightly higher
	>when I was driving up yesterday the sound was audible at speed
as well,
	>actually audible above the wind  and engine noise (but  that's
	>the  cabin anyway). Does anyone have rumbling like this? Should
I stick
	>a mic into the cabin and record the sounds for someone? Could
this be
	>the turbo packing in?

Well, you said that you have an exhaust leak - no wonder you have a
rumbling noise. I have that kind of a rumbling noise, too - that's
because the previous owner of my car put in an aftermarket exhaust that
apparently isn't exactly up to the specs. If I clog the exhaust pipe
with a towel, the car gets twice quieter at idle!

Aleksander Mierzwa
Warsaw, Poland
87 Audi 5000CS turbo (mine)
88 Renault Medallion wagon (mom's)