Clutch pedal play

On my QSW, a while back I mentioned that I felt that I had too much play
in the clutch pedal... it had no resistance for the first couple of
inches when I first stepped on it. I figured (and others agreed) that it
might be the cleavis pin. Well, that had been replaced, and I'm sure it
did help, but last night, I found the real culprit.

While I was under the dash snaking the cable for my new roof-mount AM/FM
antenna (to replace the FUGLY fender mount one), I took a look at the
clutch pedal (to see if there was still some play where a bolt had been
substituted for the cleavis pin), and lo and behold, I found a rubber
"doo-hickey" that had rotated out of place. It was cable-tied (which I
found odd), and it didn't look like an OEM piece (which leads me to
believe that someone substituted along the way?), but I figured it was
there for a reason.

I figured that it was there to cushion the pedal from slamming back
against the stopping point, so I rotated it back into position, and sure
enough, it made the clutch pedal feel "normal". It took up the slack of
the first couple of inches.

I don't know what should be OEM, but for now, I don't care. This
worked!! (Anyone know what should be there? Just curious... I haven't
checked the Bentley yet...)

So, if anyone has what I HAD, you might want to check this little rubber
"thingy". It sure made a huge difference on my car. It makes driving the
car all that much more fun now!!

                             Jim Griffin
                          Maryland, USA
    "Perception is often stronger than reality!"
                        '92 Audi 100S
                   '87 VW Quantum Syncro