Torsen at the Limit

I'm back on the Q-list after a long absence.  I'll be reviewing the '98
A6q (parents) in the near future, but first I must address the Torsen

I guess I'm more curious than anything because my CQ has never
demonstrated any of the "hunting" or unpredictable behavior some of you
have discussed.  Maybe I just haven't taken it past 7/10ths, but I did
spend last winter trying to in the Colorado mountains.  Granted, I was
running studded Hakka 10s.  I could get the back end to break loose, but
only by over-applying power while making a tight turn.  With the Torsen
sending power to the front, it was simple to correct with the throttle
and a little opposite-lock.

This question is made even more curious by the comments in Car's recent
Giant Test featuring the new S4:
		Of course, the S4 has its limit, too, but it arrives with
		a subtlety which lets you dial in speed adjustments in small,
		safe doses.
		The S4 is a natural understeerer, but you can rein it in by
		reducing throttle opening and steering lock.  Voila - now
		the Audi is ready to execute a perfect powerslide.  With all
		four wheels in drift mode, the S4 strikes an intriguing
		balance between slip and grip, while remaining totally
Sounds pretty good to me.  This is with a Torsen center diff with slight
rear bias.  I assume most of the above description applies to speeds
above the EDL threshold.  So, what gives?

Kennon W. Hines
1990 Coupe Quattro
Atlanta, GA