Re: Alta Vista

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Phil Payne wrote:

> I've had another play on Alta Vista, and it really is quite persistent.  I did
> around a dozen searches for various things, and noticed nothing untoward- the
> ads were random and US-biased as always. Then I did a search on 'audi quattro'
> like before - and BANG! After that point, every ad was for ovloV all-wheel
> drive. I couldn't find any search commands that would turn it off.

If I'm understanding you correctly, the issue is not the ads themselves,
but that they're not Audi ads (?)

What's happening here is that Volvo has paid for context-sensitive
bannering, using 'audi quattro' as a buzzword.  Wouldn't surprise me to
find that a Volvo ad pops up on a Subaru query.

I suppose you'll have to get Audi to ante up in similar fashion before you
see their ads instead of Volvo's.