[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
That's right. It's been done. It worked. Smooth as silk now. In fact I
just had to use them as I came around a blind curve to find a pickup
truck reversing in my lane. Look here for more details:
And for the archives:
I had shimmy under braking. I changed control arm bushings and subframe
bushings with only a slight improvement. The rotor runout was found to
be .005 inches
while mounted on the car. Mounted on the lathe it was only .001 inches
or less before turning. This means my hubs are not true. Bentley says
for a standard type
rotor you should have less than .002 inches runout. I also found a bad
tie rod end which hasn't been fixed yet.
It worked! The shimmy has been bannished even with untrue hubs and a bad
tie rod end.
I think that it is an uneven drag around the rotor that causes the
shimmy, rather than it being out of true. Let's say that the car sits in
the rain for a few weeks and the
bottom halves of the rotors get more rust pitts than the top half. You
would now get shimmy because the rotor has more "grab" around part of
That's a theory anyway.