Objective performance

This is from my friend who devised the way of rating cars objectively...

---------------- Begin Forwarded Message ----------------
Date:        03/22  7:08 PM
From:        CM1022, CM1022@aol.com
To:          daserde@ucla.edu

Please give this to the list.

There must be an objective criteria for performance.  Come on!  For god's
sakes, a Metro is not a McLaren F1.  These are objective ideas- which one
faster?  I define performance as all around- all the things you want to be
low, all the things you want to be high.  Take them all, find the
read the statistics, and find the best performance car.

I take all stats I can find- R&T, MT, any car mag, manufacter's claims,
This makes for a good all around method of finding what is objectively
I understand that these tests are in fact never perfect or impartial, but
DO give a good general idea, and the more stats the better.

The old subjective vs. objective idea can ONLY be applied to performance.
These are testable traits of a car, and lend the bottom line to the
And that line is "If it is a better performer, it will show up in the

Numbers, math.  That is the objective language.  I have developed a system
that takes into account everything that a car can do well, and should do
The end result is a statistical analysis that lends objective truth to
the car

It's not all apples and oranges.

Michael Sheridan Williams

My new one: 1985 4000 S Quattro
175,000+ miles, and going like a new car
Well, went like a new car.....right into a guard rail :o(