Re: What is Techron?

>I found the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for Techron at Cornell

>It lists the ingredients as:

Mixture of hydrocarbon solvents including methyl cyclohexane (naptha) [C7],
Toluene (aka methyl benzene [C7]), three isomeric xylenes (dimethyl benzene
[C8]), and ethyl benzene [C8]).  These are simply common solvents for
non-aqueous systems.

               < 0.1%
               < 0.1%
         < 0.1%

Polyether amine is a detergent designed for use in non-aqueous systems.
Techron is simply a soap-like material which can solubilize solid organic
crud (technical term).  It should work as advertised.  My experience bears
this out.

>I don't know what makes a polyether amine special and couldn't find
>much about them in my brief web searching.

See above.

>There is also a supplier on the web offering the concentrate for sale in
>They have it at $4.12 / 12oz bottle, but you have to buy a minimum of 72
>bottles. =8-()
>Thought this was relevant since so many people have recommended/use
>Techron on the List, myself included (mandatory content)

This might be worth some thought for us.  Shipping would be the first
obvious problem.

>Any ChemE's out there?

Dunno about Chem. E's.  Will a retired professor of organic chemistry do?  :-)

*  Robert L. Myers    rmyers@inetone.net      Home 304-574-2372 *
*  Rt. 1, Box 57                         FAX/Modem 304-574-1166 *
*  Fayetteville, WV 25840 USA            WV tag Q SHIP 2.2+ bar *
*  Obligatory quattro and sleddog-L references:                 *
*  My 3 Siberian Huskies enjoy riding in my '89 200TQ           *