[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
Re: to interfere, or not to interfere - that is the question
- To: "firstname.lastname@example.org" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: to interfere, or not to interfere - that is the question
- From: Dave Eaton <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 13:03:36 +1200
- Autoforwarded: false
- Disclose-Recipients: prohibited
- Hop-Count: 1
- Importance: normal
- In-Reply-To: <199803242358.SAA25172@coimbra.ans.net>
- Mr-Received: by mta MOEMR0.MUAS; Relayed; Wed, 25 Mar 1998 13:03:36 +1200
- Mr-Received: by mta CSAV05; Relayed; Wed, 25 Mar 1998 13:03:36 +1200
- Sender: email@example.com
- Ua-Content-Id: 11C3CB432400
- X400-Mts-Identifier: [;4736031325031998/A58997/CSAV05]
my ur-quattro is having it's cambelt replaced (92,000kms) as we speak. i'm
tired of worrying about it. the mechanic said that it looked like new, but i
have no record of the work being done prior to my purchase of the car, and it
doesn't see much usage. hence the replacement...
>Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 18:47:27 EST
>From: MHLIGGINS <MHLIGGINS@aol.com>
>Subject: info from Bucksnort RE: Anyone know where I can find an MC
><<fingers crossed that I can just pull the head and have a valve job! Any
>opinions? Is there likely to be damage to the pistons, conn rods,
>bottom end from a situation where the engine was slowing to idle when
>the belt broke?>>
> When I pulled mine down the valves were severely bent and will definitely
>need to be replaced. There were impact marks on the tops of all five pistons.
>Enough that smoothing them out would change the balance of the pistons.
> If you read my earlier post of today, you'll note that there is a chance
>you only have one or two valves bent. In which case you should be able to
>rework the head (and only replace one or two valves) and go back together.
> But, all the remote wishing won't change whatever is in there. And you
>won't know until you have the head off the block.