Re: Upgrade '82 Coupe front brakes

> Here is the plan:  pull a set of calipers & carriers off an '85+ Coupe GT
> or 4000q, and purchase a set of '85+ FWD 4000 10.1" rotors (100mm bolt
> pattern).  Then, install this on my father's '82 Coupe in place of the
> stock 9.4" solid front disc brakes.
> Has anyone done (or attempted) this?  Anything to watch out for?

This is exactly what I have done to my Coupe.
The rotors are 10.1" 16v Scirroco / 16v Passat.
They fit right on.
> I am working on the assumption that the calipers will bolt right up to
> the '82 strut, and that the FWD 4000 rotor (100mm bolt pattern) has the
> right hat size for the CGT/4000q caliper carrier.  Looks like an easy
> swap, but I wanted to check other BTDTs.

The calipers do bolt straight up and there is no surprises.
Makes a world of difference.
 It would be nice to go even bigger but
that means strut mods and 15" rims.

Martin Pajak

1982 Coupe TURBO (473,150 km)
1984 4000s quattro (soon to be a rally car)
1986 4000s quattro (317,000 km) with four Nokia 10's
1982 Coupe (154,000) parts car

CEO of exam lastminute allniter rollthedice inc.