Re: Newsgroup?

>While I do not surf the 'net much, I have never come across a better
>automotive [or other type for that matter] list than the one we have
>here.  There is tremendous volume, and I assume there is a cost
>associated with it.  What is better for us, a subscription to C&D
>[will never happen here] or a subscription to this list?
>Just a thought [maybe a bad one?]
Not to sound ungrateful(I'm not in the slightest,) but yes, a bad one.
Charging for the list would:

a)disourage people from joining
b)alienate existing members
c)cause everyone to move to a new, free qlist hosted by someone else

The Internet is a community, and quite a bit of it is free; the world wide
web is 98% free, easily accessable(ok, maybe not :) pages.  It's a place to
get software(freeware, shareware, trialware, etc.)  It's a place to get
advice, humor, information...all free.  It used to be that the Internet was
a collection of universities and government insitutions linked up(it still
is, to a small extent; now it's major telecommunications companies like
MCI, Sprint, GTE(bbn), etc.)

To charge for admission would be against the whole (if not slightly
idealistic) principle the internet was built on; you host something for
others, and others put up things for you.

However, I think it would not be unreasonable to _ask_ for donations; if
each member contributed on an honor system in an amount of their
choosing(probably between $1-$5) a year, this would give funds for hardware
upgrades, maybe even a seperate connection at a host ISP so Dan doesn't get
flak from ANS about the traffic(though I don't know how much you do, Dan,
correct me if I'm wrong.)  Figuring 50% feel like contributing $5, that's
still roughly $1700(5x700x.5) a year.

What is most important in any case is that we recognize the service Dan and
ANS provide for us, which I believe most people who stick around for more
than a few months do.  It is also important to realize the service from
fellow listers; there is a regular group of very experienced people that
provide, on a very regular basis, excellent advice, solutions and

Here's to free collaboration.

Brett Dikeman
Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt.  Qui annus est?
Te audire non possum.  Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
Ita, scio hunc 'sig file' veterem fieri.