Cracks in firewall at clutch '85 4KQ

In message <199804270728.AAA27406@gonzo.wolfenet.com> Orin Eman writes:

>>> You clutch master cylinder input rod needs adjustment so it
>>> doesnt bottom out the cylinder at each press of the clutch!
>>> You'll have to get the firewall repaired!

>> If it doesn't bottom out, you can't bleed it.

> There is a danger of breaking the linkage and/or pedal itself
> (aluminium on later 200s) if it does bottom out before the
> pedal hits its stop (the floor in the case of the 200s I believe).
> I had the linkage snap on an '82 UrQ... fortunately right outside
> my front door.
> I guess that's why it is supposed to be pressure bled.

There _may_ be a difference here between LHD and RHD.  On a RHD car,
the (unpressurised) feed line from the twee little reservoir enters
the master cylinder at 45 degrees to the vertical - i.e., the master
cylinder is canted over at 45 degrees.  Even pressure bleeding won't
clear the air out unless the whole length of the cylinder is swept
by the piston.

 Phil Payne
 Phone: 0385 302803   Fax: 01536 723021
 (The contents of this post will _NOT_ appear in the UK Newsletter.)