Problem w/4kcsq

I recently bought an '86 4000 CS quattro.

I would like some help diagnosing a couple of things I don't

        1.There is a hard pull to the left when the rear and
          front differential is locked (but not when only
          the front is).

        2.When neither is locked (normal position) there is
          a shake in the wheel at speeds above 60 mph.
          This isn't present with differentials (both)
          I recently read a post that this could be the
          shaft not balanced. I haven't checked this out yet
          but would like to know of anybody else's
          in solving this dilemma.

Thanks for any and all help in this,

**** To respond by E-MAIL, remove the " .remove " ****