Re: The quattro experience (r

cobram@Channel1.Com (Cobram) wrote:

> -=> Quoting Tom Nas <=-

> TN> Yesterday I went to pick up my 'new' 1987 90q in Friesland, a 110-mile
> TN> drive from my home. I traded my 1988 80 1.8S FWD (accident damaged) in
>                 AND
> TN> My car:
> TN> 1989 90 quattro 10v, B3 or 89-type body, build date 2-87, NG engine

>     Well, is it an '87 or an '89? I'm betting '89.

Oops, minor typo- it's really an '87. One of the first type 89 bodied 90s.

> TN> Anyway, I'm glad I took the plunge (at least for now!), and look
> TN> forward to a lot of pleasurable drives in the future. Now I have a
> TN> rare, quick and good-looking car.

>     The car would be rare here in the US too, no power windows,
>     AC, or Cruise.  And when it's 10PM on a Saturday night, and
>     you're still trying to pry out the last pieces of the
>     broken oxygen sensor (that's how I spent last night) after
>     you've finally managed to pop in the lower ball joint
>     for a "simple" boot change and "tune up" that started at 2PM,
>     REMEMBER the pleasure you've had driving the car, and the
>     satisfaction that's coming.

Thanks, I'll try to do that. At least my car hasn't got the bomb and
steering rack as 'wear items'.

> TN> expensive and NLA), four 'Audi' mudflaps. Aftermarket remote alarm, not
> TN> working (batteries in remote are dead).

>     If it's a cheap alarm system, get rid of it.  Right after
>     I purchased my '84 5KS I started having very strange
>     problems with the car.  One day in total frustration
>     I started cutting all the alarm wires and ripped the
>     whole thing out of the car. Never had a problem again.

I think I'm going to take your advice. No-one ever takes any notice of
alarms anyway.

> TN> the rest of the car, none of them original Audi items. Cracked coolant
> TN> reservoir (on top), repaired with some glue but leaking slightly again.

>     Costs about U$ 35.00 here.

Same here.

>     The rest of the problems you cited are nothing to worry about
>     and should be resolved with a little troubleshooting on
>     a Sunday afternoon.

Like today. Time well spent, and very nice work too, in the sun.

Thanks for your comments!

 1988 Audi 80 1.8S, mostly Tizianrot metallic, 219,000km
 1987 Audi 90q 2.3E, Tizianrot metallic, 163,000km

    "We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out."
                --Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.