Tiptronic Question

After 30 years of cars with manual shifts, I am trying cope with the
Tiptronic auto trans in my 98 A6. I found that in D, the car shifts
into 5th at speeds as low as 25 mph and suddenly you are trolling
along at 1,500 rpm feeling pretty anemic. I have discovered that if
you drive the car selecting "4" rather than "D", the trans will only
use four speeds rather than 5 and it performs much better around town.

Does anyone know if limiting the transmission from using 5th except
on the highway will cause any long term problems?

98' A6q