Re: Waterpump rip-off?

SSpangenbe@aol.com wrote:

>How hard should it be to spin a "new" remanufactured Audi water pump for my 89

Very easy. Some are a bit tight initially and loosen up later, but it
sounds like you have a defective example.

>The dealership sold me an "Audi" remanufactured pump, which was very tight.
>They said this was normal and it would work itself out in a few miles.  It
>only lasted 6k miles.

When I crashed my old Audi 80, the water pump was dead (bent the pulley). I
replaced it with one that came as brand new in a box, but cost nothing.
Why? It didn't turn. I used some silicone spray on it, and hey presto- one
perfect water pump. It was a lot less noisy than my previous unit. This
might work for you, too.

>The dealer replaced it under the warranty, with another "Audi remanufactured"
>pump that was also very hard to turn.  My independent mechanic refused to
>install it.  The pump he had was very easy to spin and also cost less --
>$60.00 vs. $104.  His came in a box, apparently from Germany, whereas the
>dealers was in plastic bag.  Hmmmm.

Did the 'new' pump look old and crusty? If it's nice and clean, at least
the 'remanufacturing' consisted of a clean, which might have left some
deposits inside the housing which prevent the pump from turning.
However, I agree that a new pump should turn easily. They don't generally
loosen up by themselves AFAIK.

 1988 Audi 80 1.8S, mostly Tizianrot metallic, 219,000km
 1987 Audi 90q 2.3E, Tizianrot metallic, 163,000km

    "We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out."
                --Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.