A/C service

Hi List!

Since I bought my 5KT almost four years ago the A/C has been working
perfectly. Now, I've read a couple of articles in car magazines telling
that it's necessary to service the A/C system (clean the filter, check for
leaks, add oil etc.) annually or you are risking some serious problems
including possible damage to the compressor. I try to maintain my car
meticulously, but, on the other hand, I have lots of bad experiences with
various workshops and "gorillas" working there, so I don't really want to
let them work on a perfectly working system if it's not really necessary.
So, what should I do? The A/C blows cold. The compressor is a little bit
noisy (a "whining" sound not very loud, but easily heard over the engine
noise) - does this mean that there's not enough oil in the system? It has
been like that since I bought the car. Any advice appreciated.

Aleksander Mierzwa
Warsaw, Poland
87 Audi 5000CS turbo (mine)
88 Renault Medallion wagon (mom's)