Re: Ur-erratic coolant temp reading on MB

"Jouko Haapanen" <joukoh@vtoy.fi> wrote:

>I am getting some funny readings on my 88 (MB) Urquattro coolant temp
>(digital) gauge.  The temp will rise very quickly (couple of minutes city
>driving, 10 deg C ambient) to the middle ("N") of the gauge, and then all
>of a sudden rocket to "H" and start flashing.  As soon as I start moving,
>the temp will drop from max. to N in about 5 seconds.  If I stop and rev
>the engine, it will go back up to H in a couple of seconds.  Hmmm...

>Yes, it has coolant, and yes it does circulate.  Top rad hose seems a
>little flaccid, and the  rad leaks a bit.  New rad to be installed soon
>(along with a zillion other items worn after 375 000 km such as bomb,
>shocks, springs, brake discs (4), pads, headlights, foglights, windshield,
>rear view mirror glass (2), intake hoses (all), vacuum hoses (all).....).
>But I digress.  What should I be looking for?

Mine does the very same thing. Diagnosed as a dead sensor for the auto fan
in the bottom of the rad. Easily fixed.

 1987 Audi 90q 2.3E, Tizianrot metallic, 164,000km

 The function of an expert is not to be more right than other people,
         but to be wrong for more sophisticated reasons.
                                                -- David Butler