Re: 89 octane OK in 2.8L V6?

Andrew Duane USG/PE <duane@zk3.dec.com> wrote:

>I weaned my '95 A6QW off the 93 octane months ago. Been running just
>fine since then on 87. I used a couple of tankfuls of 89 in between
>but that was OK, so I went on down to regular 87.

>No knocking, no loss of milage, no detectable problems at all.
>The manual in my car says 87 is OK, but the tank flap says 91
>(or is it the other way around?). I suspect it is a goof from
>translating european octane numbers to american ones.

Does it say 91 _RON_? That's what mine says, and it's the regular low-grade
gas here in Europe. I can get 95 (regular) and 98 (super) unleaded here in
Owners manual says 95 is OK.

It drives fine on 95. I'm not interested in paying $.10/litre extra for super.

BTW Even though I drive it quite hard sometimes, I seem to get about 10
km/litre. Not bad for a 2.3- My old 80 1.8 used to do the same in
start-stop traffic.

 1987 Audi 90q 2.3E, Tizianrot metallic, 164,000km

 The function of an expert is not to be more right than other people,
         but to be wrong for more sophisticated reasons.
                                                -- David Butler