Re: Driveshaft problem?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian J Haseltine <jim_haseltine@email.msn.com>
To: Quattro List <quattro@coimbra.ans.net>
Date: Tuesday, June 16, 1998 5:30 PM
Subject: Driveshaft problem?

>The roaring noise that my Ur-q has been making for the last couple of
>was truly amazing tonight. Because of heavy traffic I had to travel about
>miles at an enforced speed of about 45 mph, which appears to be the speed
>which the noise is at its peak and I could actually 'feel' the noise
>through the cabin. Once I arrived home I jacked the car and checked all the
>wheel bearings (again!) and found no problems (again!). Took a drive down
>the road, noise still hasn't miraculously disappeared (you can hope can't
>you?) so I had a dig around with the wheels on the ground. There is a lot
>play in the front rh drive shaft, not rotational but longitudinal, I can
>move the shaft from the wheel towards the diff and back again a lot further
>than I think that I should be able to. There does not appear to be similar
>movement in the other drive shafts, maybe a little in the rh rear but that
>might be my imagination.
>Comments/advice etc ?
>Jim Haseltine
Hi Jim;

    Have you checked your CV joints for wear? I have not looked into this
area, but I always thought the halfshaft acted as a suspension link. If this
is the case, I would think you would not want any longitudinal movement
here. Side loads would rock the strut in and out, changing camber.

Fred Munro
'91 200q  254k km