Re: blue headlights?

DRoxburgh wrote:

> Guys you've missed the point. In Europe, big A's have the new style
> projector bulbs with give off a very bluish light compared to the dim orange
> glow from normal headlamps. These are a different type of bulb - not
> halogen? - and that was what I wanted to know about, i.e. could they be
> fitted behind stock lenses to improve the lighting over and above the use of
> sheer wattage - PP take note!

These blueish tinted lights are called HID for High Intensity Discharge.
I can't remember exactly which element is used to create the light, but
I believe it's mercury. I know Lincoln and BMW are using them. They
are VERY expensive, as they use special circuitry to provide the high
amperage needed to power the lights. I've seen aftermarket "off-road"
driving lights advertised for $1200 or more. That's a bit excessive in
my mind. I personally light the lights, the Lincolns I've met on the road
were less of a pain, as the light is very focused and doesn't blind you,
but I don't feel like spending that much money for lights.

Personally, I like projector style lights. They are relatively inexpensive,
and yet can be used in higher wattages because the focused beam doesn't
blind oncoming drivers.

Hope This Helps.

Todd Young              WAM!NET Inc.
tyoung@wamnet.com       6100 West 110th Street
612-886-5051            Bloomington, MN 55438-2664
800-585-1133 ext.5051   http://www.wamnet.com/