Re: help with a speeding ticket and cool driving story stuff...

>At 03:40 PM 7/29/98 -0700, Michael Williams wrote:
>>Paul Wilson decided to speak these words:
>>Most are...honda accord, civic, etc etc etc...i have respect for the
>>sports cars, but this little miata was referred to as a POS due to the
>>fact that he went up against me, a lowly 4kq at stock ride height and got
>>his butt whipped...so a car renowned for its handling cant match my
>>sedan...well then...
>I find a lot of Japanese cars to be boring, but boring and POS are not the
>same thing.
I beg to differ.  The Acura Integra is one hell of a fun car; even the
early(1990, based of civic body) Legend is _very_ quick.  A friend drives
one; it's not slow(but is no match for the 200q :)

>Anyway, I suspect the guy in the Miata didn't know how to drive.  I've
>raced various cars in the Miata(including cars guaranteed to be faster than
>your 4kq) and not had a problem.  Of course if it was raining, that's
>different.  Or maybe the Miata was an automatic(a travesty if true).
I agree.  Best car in the world won't do you any good if your driver can't
A friend of a friend had a miata; he loved it until he bought a mercedes coupe.
They seem like excellent cars; they perform well, are reliable and don't
cost a whole lot.  The only negative point is that I doubt you'd survive
any serious accident; kiss your butt goodbye in a rollover.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen the ROPS system in the C70 convertible?
When the car senses an impending rollover, it explodes out two pillars that
act sort of like a roll cage, if I understand correctly.  Way cool(though
one wonders how much explosives are in a Volvo these days; airbags, ROPS,
pyrotechnic seatbelt pretensioners...

>>Well, these are auxilliary low beams.  Meaning that they are designed not
Hella XL's?  They're great...had a set before a snowplow took 'em out.

>>to glare in people's eyes.  When i drive down 2 lane roads in the darkest
>>of nights, i dont get flashed by oncoming traffic.  Period.  The
>>instructions by Hella even state that these are designed to be used 100%
>>of the time when my low beams are on and will not glare in other people's
>>So i am following the manufacturer's specs.  And yes, they are aimed
>Driving lights, to me, generally mean super high beams.  Some people get
>PO'd if they see any extra lights so maybe this was the case.  Your
>description makes them sound more reasonable(sorry 'bout the ahole comment).
A lot of people think that the XL's are driving lights when they see them
coming from the other direction.  They're not.  However, they are also
semi-difficult to aim(mine tended to bounce or slip out of position.)
Also, they are only to be mounted above bumper on our cars; the bumper is
too low for under-bumper mounting.  The higher "vantage" point means the
lights get angled down more.

What I can't stand are the hundreds of BMW drivers and truck(Ford/GMC)
owners who put in huge wattage bulbs and blind everyone on the road with
their lowbeams.  Honestly, there's a reason DOT specified a maximum wattage
in one fixture.

Brett Dikeman
Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt.  Qui annus est?
Te audire non possum.  Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
Ita, scio hunc 'sig file' veterem fieri.