The front license bracket mounts directly to the bumper.  If you remove
the plastic covering over the bumper you should have two ten millimeter
holes with riv-nuts in them.  This is what the license mounts to.

I guess in your case, whoever fixed your car simply bondo'd over the
holes and repainted the bumper.