Re: Pentosin sale, and more Pentosin

At 13:47 26.08.98 -0400, G. Benedikt Rochow wrote:

>My gas-station Audi-fahrfromexpert says it (or rather the
>PS fluid put in by PO) leaks from the PS pump (only, apparently).

Good sign. There's a chance a $15 seal kit is all that is needed to bring
that pump back to life.

>Which rounds out the broken xmission mount, exhaust manifold
>leak, and gone wheel bearing. Did I overpay at $350 for this
>'84 5KS?

Used car prices is one thing that makes me yield "I WANNA LIVE IN THE USA".
Here in Poland you could sell this car for $2000.

>Hmm, maybe I can help. (I'm German, and I do have to admit
>that just the wording above is not entirely clear.)
>Are you wondering whether it means "a few drops" vs. "regular
>drops, until there's none left?" Not sure, but I'd guess
>it's somewhere in between. It seems to me that it soud stop after a
>few drops if the motor is off, but drip - slowly - continously
>when it's running.

The manual assumes that the pressure accumulator (aka "the bomb") is
working, which makes no difference if the engine is running or not. With a
dead bomb though, even a faulty servo won't leak anything more than a few
drops then stop if the engine is not running - that's why this test is
better porformed with the engine running. Phil is right that a really
healthy servo shouldn't leak even a drop - however, a really slow leak,
like one drop every 3 seconds is not enough to discharge a bomb holding
0.5l of fluid overnight and doesn't have any noticeable effect on the
efficiency of the servo.

Aleksander Mierzwa
Warsaw, Poland
87 Audi 5000CS turbo (mine)