Oil (again)

Say, what's all this "Service SJ" stuff anyway?

Mobil 1 seems to be the most popular synthetic (at least it gets mentioned
the most on this list, & on A4.org).  So I trucked over to Kmart to check
prices (all in the $4/qt range).  Looking on the back, all the synthetics
say "for service SJ"  (or "SJ/CF").  Many of the labels claim equivalence
to other codes, (usually SH)-- but NONE claims to be a replacement for
either SF or SG.

The trouble is, my owner's manual says to use service SF or SG oil.  What
the heck do these codes mean anyway?  Is there a system to them?  Would
SJ include everything from SA to SI?

Douglas Frank  Digital Equipment Corp.   (a tiny little division of
ZKO            110 Spit Brook Rd.         CompWinTel Heavy Industries, Inc.)
DTN 264-0501   Nashua, NH  USA  03062-2711

DAWN  n. The time when men of reason go to bed.