[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
Mystery Knock on 80q
My '88 80q now has me a bit worried. I have wrenched on all sorts of
vehicles for years, but I can't figure out the source of a engine knock.
Starting a couple of years ago, on cold mornings, the engine would have a
very metallic sounding knock, that would go away totally in about 1 minute.
It wouldn't ever happen above 60 degrees or so. (This has nothing to do
with lifters; doesn't sound like the typical Audi lifter click sound. I
replaced all the lifters to get rid of this problem) Very intermittent, so
I didn't do anything about it
Now I moved to California, but the knock has appeared again, only
regularly. Like the earlier knock, it appears to be temperature sensitive.
Additionally, it seems the exhaust is rattling a bit. It almost sounds
like a rod knock, but it is very condition sensitive:
1. Doesn't knock at idle. (exhaust rattles & is a bit loud from a leak,
2. Doesn't knock if you rev the engine while parked.
3. Only hear it under load; accelerating, usually between 1700 and 2500 rpm
4. Very pronounced/loud when engine cold.
5. When engine is very hot, can't hear it at all.
I have never heard a knock that is this condition-sensitive. Engine runs
great otherwise; plus it only has 180K miles!
Can anyone shed any light on this before it goes catastrophic?
Knocking '88 80q