Subject: Help this gent - Driveshaft U-Joint

Al:  here's my personal archives; no BTDT, so don't know which fit the 80.
I'd assume the first post (90) would fit; there's also a number for a 5000
courtesy of Igor Kessel; Mark Nelson says father can source everything needed;
and I've included an old post about a place in Colorado as well.  Then there's
Blau, who can reportedly rebuild certain car's driveshafts.
HTH, Chris Miller, Windham NH, c1j1miller@aol.com
To: Doyt
From: dlawson@digitalglobe.com
Date: 6 Dec 96 18:54:14 -0500
Subject: Re: quattro center diff lock actuator ...
Well folks, about a month after my poor baby broke it is all together
again.  With the help of Steve B. Bruce B. and Graydon S. my 90Q is running
again with about $50 dollars  of parts.  I rebuilt my center drive-shaft
(carrier bearing and u-joint only).  The bearing was gotten through GPR and
is BMW part# 26121209532. It is the bearing including the rubber surround
and the mounting bracket as one piece, total cost $35.
I successfully removed the bolt which holds the yoke to the foreshaft with
a 17mm box end(this required removing the zerk grease fitting from u-joint)
but found it too difficult to get the yoke off(no way to
press/pry/hammer/pull etc.). With Graydon's help I took apart the u-joint
and discovered it to be fairly "trashed" and stiff.  The only u-joint I
could find locally was a non-greasable unit made by Borg-Warner($15). If
anyone has a part # for a greasable u-joint please let me know for future
reference.  After re-assembling everything I cleaned out the CV's,
regreased them and installed on the car. I sort of assumed that the
drive-shaft would self-align and it did!  The car runs great. All in all it
was a simple procedure, just a pain to get the necessary parts.

Brendan Rudack           rudack@ucsub.Colorado.EDU '88 90Q
rudack@ucsub.Colorado.EDU Fenton, Michigan USA
Subject: RE: The centre support bearing for a type-44 quattro found
Igor said:
I stopped by a local M-B dealer and matched up the bearing and the
rubber cap against the M-B parts. Below are the long awaited part
Both parts are from a 240D or 300D, chassis # 123:
Bearing: 0039812325
Rubber cap: 1234101081

The prop shaft they're referring to, is the center driveline.  What
happens is the U-joint in the center, as well as the rubber mount, with a
bearing in the center, tend to wear out, causing quite a bit of slop in the
drivetrain.  The CJ joints on the ends seem to hold up pretty well, but it's
a good idea to have those replaced at the same time.  I have access to all
the parts necessary to rebuild these shafts (not just the u-joint, like
Blau), so let me know off-line if you're in need of a complete rebuild of
the driveline.

For more information on all your driveshaft needs, send
- -mark nelson