Re: Long cranking

I'd check into the cold start system before I'd start accusing the oil.
20W-50 is specified down to  20 degrees. I have used that oil in 5-10
degree weather with no noticeable starting problems. If the engine oil
were the culprit, you'd have very low cranking speeds. More likely you
have a bad temp sensor or cold start valve.

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998 08:52:17 -0500 Raffi Tomassian
<tomassian@glaserworks.com> writes:
>Dear Collective Brain,
>For 3 days now, some of them humid, some of them dry, I have to crank
>engine 2-3 times for 4-5 sec. each time to get it to start.  Before it
>took a second.  I know it is getting colder in the midwest but I and
>('87 4kCSq) have been through 30 degree days before.  After starting
>behaves just fine.  (And the new front bushings are making me a
>driver.  Thanks to all who suggested that.)  The symptom mysteriously
>coinsides with me changing the differential oil (I am embarassed for
>writing that) with heavier stuff.  I put in GL-5 85W140.  This is
>isn't it?
>On the other hand, the engine oil is Castrol GTX 20W50.  It, sure, is
>so what?
>The air filter is 2 1/2 mos/3000 miles old.
>Thanks appreciatively to all reading this.

Adam Nelson '85 4000S, Blaupunkt cassette, Starbucks go cup, '69 Beetle,
1 piece
windows, hand held fan, '91 Vanagon, KYB Gas a Just, bug screens.
Columbus, Ohio

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]