Re: Auto trans problem?

At 16:51 8.11.98 -0500, Steve Brehm wrote:

>Hi guys,
>th  auto trans on my 87 5KCST was shifting poorly(slow to change gears)
the other day so I >checked the ATF level. To my dismay the level didn't
even register on the stick. I filled >it and have been driving it for a
couple weeks like that. Today, I checked the level and >found it low again.
There are no external leaks though. Does this mean I'm experiencing the
>dreaded transmission/final drive oil swapping problem?

Yes, I'm afraid. Remove the differential fill plug. If lot of fluid escapes
from the differential, than you've found where the ATF did go :-(

>If so, what's the prognosis? What >needs replaced to correct things?
What's the co$t??

Stop driving the car. You will damage the differential if you keep driving
the car in this condition. 90% of the repair cost is labor, so stay away
from the dealer.

Aleksander Mierzwa
Warsaw, Poland
87 Audi 5000CS turbo (mine)