Re: Almost Reckless driving

At 13:55 10.11.98 -0500, Steve Bigelow wrote:

>>>One law for all.  _Your_ car is safe at 125mph (BTDT, Hamburg - Munich)
>>>but Ralph Nader was right about many of the others.
>>And that's why I see the speed limits as nothing more but a tool for
>>enhancing revenue. Same speed limits apply to Trabant and UrQ - a most
>>absurd law I can think of.
>Personally, I think the car is a relatively small part of the equation. I'm
>more worried about the capabilities of the _driver_.
>Better (insert your favourite driver here) in a Trabant than a regular boob
>in an UrQ...

I agree on the driver issue, however, sice we are discussing speed here, it
should be noted that the maximum speed at which a given driver can safely
drive the car very much depends on the car itself. Since my 5KT is immobile
since two weeks (turbo oil supply line started to leak _again_, so I
finally sacrificed $200 and ordered a new one from the dealer. As I was
tightening it in place, I stripped the thread in the oil filter housing.
Today I spent another $30 on a set of heli-coils, so I _hope_ to finish the
job this evening - fingers crossed), I had to drive mom's Renault on some
occasions. Where my Audi feels perfectly stable even on bumpy roads at
100kph or even more, I can hardly drive the Renault at 80kph.

Aleksander Mierzwa
Warsaw, Poland
87 Audi 5000CS turbo (mine)
88 Renault Medallion wagon (mom's)