Re: lotsa 300hp fwd cars!

Graydon D. Stuckey writes:
> On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Todd Young wrote:
> > This talk about 200hp being the most you can put through the front
> > wheels is a lot of crap. Case in point, early 70's in the US, Olds
> > Toronado with a 455cid large block turning the front wheels. I know for
> ... stuff deleted...
> That is very true.  The Cadillac STS has 300 hp, the Chrysler 300M has
> over 250 hp, and therer are lots of race cars out there with fwd and over
> 300 hp, like many of the touring cars.  These cars also are very light,
> so the power-to-weight ratios are pretty high too.

That used be to be true before traction control.  Audi never built a
200+ hp car without quattro until the A8 3.7, which has 230hp with FWD.
The A8 3.7 comes standard with ASR (auto slip regulation).

96 A4 2.8 quattro
84 5000S 2.1 turbo
80 4000 2.0
   ///   AMB Research Laboratories, Sunnyvale, CA. USA
  ///    ti@amb.org
 //////  http://metalab.unc.edu/tkan/