Re: Type-44 5k with TDI engine?

At 19:15 3.12.98 -0500, Brett Dikeman wrote:

>I beg to ask, why not just buy a 5k TD?

Because the TDI, both when it comes to technical aspects as well as
seat-of-the-pants experience, is a completely different beast. It doesn't
have an impressive horsepower, but you know the saying, "horsepower sells
cars, but torque wins races". And when it comes to torque, then:
- the mother of TDIs, 5-cyl 2.5l 120hp engine used in late 44-chassis cars
has 15% higher torque that stock MC engine
- the little 4-cyl 1.9l 110hp with variable geometry turbocharger has only
5% less torque than MC
- the new V6 150hp 2.5 TDI has as much torque as 3B motor!

>Not to mention a PITA to start in the winter time

The key here is to use proper fuel (resistant to low temperatures). Normal
diesel fuel starts to cure below 0 degrees Celsius, hence clogging fuel
lines and filter. If proper winter fuel is not available, you can
substitute with a number of widely available fuel additives. My mother used
to drive an '81 Datsun Bluebird diesel and never had starting problems even
during -20 celsius weather. Newer cars have electrically heated fuel filters.

Aleksander Mierzwa
Warsaw, Poland
87 Audi 5000CS turbo (mine)
88 Renault Medallion wagon (mom's)