[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]

Re: Old-style self-locking nuts


    I've seen similar nuts called prevailing torque nuts.

Fred Munro
'91 200q  264k km
-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Payne <quk@isham-research.demon.co.uk>
To: quattro@coimbra.ans.net <quattro@coimbra.ans.net>
Date: Friday, December 18, 1998 2:00 PM
Subject: Old-style self-locking nuts

>I'm sure someone on the list can help me out ...
>The self-locking nuts used on older Audi manifolds were of a specific
>design - there was a slot cut in the side of the top of the nut creating
>a kind of spring that pressed on the thread harder than the rest of the
>nut did.
>I took a set off Roger Galvin's car last weekend, and laughed a little
>when he tried to re-use them - you can tighten them to 30 Nm, tap the
>manifold with a hammer, and remove them at an undoing torque below 20
>Nm.  I fitted new nuts.
>Now - the question.  What are these (old) nuts called?