Re: Buzzing noise from fuel tank

At 18:17 98-12-28 -0800, Pete, Sue, Adam Dieckerhoff wrote:

>Your fuel pump is on its last legs.  Its letting you know that the time is
>coming for a replacement.  Do it soon before it leaves you stranded on the
>side of the road somewhere.  I might suggest you leave this task to a
>professional.  You have to access the pump through a small access hole on
>the top of the fuel tank, inside the trunk.  Its a MAJOR pain in the ass.
>To make matters worse, you have to deal with some major fumes in a closed

Hmmm, I don't know if I'm extremely skillful or what ;-) but I found the FP
replacement on my 5KT much easier than I expected. There's couple of things
that can make this job easier:
- Wait until the fuel tank is almost empty. With the fuel needle on red
area, I didn't have to immerse my hand in fuel at all - half of the pump
and pump mounts were above the fuel level.
- Have a fluorescent (only!) inspection lamp, so you can see inside the
fuel tank.
- Work in the open area or at least have the garage door open.

Aleksander Mierzwa
Warsaw, Poland
87 Audi 5000CS turbo (mine)
88 Renault Medallion wagon (mom's)