Re: City Lights and aiming

Aleksander Mierzwa <alex@matrix.pl> wrote:

>As I've already pointed out in the past, I don't know where the term "city
>lights" originates from, but certainly not from Europe. The little 4W bulbs
>you refer to are European _parking_ lights.

Sorry to desillusion you, but in Dutch they're called 'stadslicht' (city
light). You're not allowed to use 'em as such, though.

 They are intended to be left on
>when you park the car in dark area, you are neither supposed nor allowed to
>actually _drive_ with them on, particularly at night. No matter if you are
>in well lit city area or not, the law everywhere in Europe requires you to
>have your low beams on. In fact, some countries (particularly Scandinavian
>ones) have laws requiring the use of low beams (or DRL, if so equipped) in
>daylight as well.

You used to be able to use 'em in built-up areas until the late '60s here.
Then they changed the law requiring dipped beams as a minimum. I've seen
pics of UK street scenes with lots of cars with only the city lights on.
The English call them 'running lights' if I recall correctly.

>Of course, if you have the Euro lights in USA, you can use them for
>whatever you like. I personally think, though, that using only 4W bulbs at
>night, even in very well lit urban areas, is plain suicidal.

Amen. Still there are plenty of idiots here running around on city lights

 1987 Audi 90q 2.3E, Tizianrot metallic, 167,000km

         Never make predictions, especially about the future.
                                        -- Samuel Goldwyn