[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
200/100 repair procedure: w/s washer reservoir
I know other folks have had the same problem, so I thought the procedure
might save someone some time:
Symptom: Windshield washer reservoir leaking at the level switch
1. Remove reservoir (this involves taking the passenger side headlight
assembly out -- you Euro headlight folks know how to do this well!)
2. Pull the level switch out : you will probably find that the leak is
from seams in the plastic collar heat glued into the opening.
3. Get a tube of Goop Marine Adhesive/Sealant (about $4.00 at Home
Depot), and coat the inside surface of the "collar" with a uniform film
of the stuff. Do the same on the outside, using a really thick bead so
that it flows and covers the joint uniformly. Resist the temptation to
spread it with a screwdriver (!).
4. Let it dry for 12 hours or so. Smear a little bit of liquid soap on
the rubber grommet around the level switch and push it in (you may break
something if you try it without the soap: especially since the inner
diameter is now a bit smaller because of the glue).
5. Fill it up (stick the w/s pump in its hole and close the outlet with
something -- I used a pen), and see if it leaks. You'll probably be all
set at this point, but I put an additional bead of Goop around the rim
of the level switch.