Re: tailpipe/kitty questions

I once knew a girl that wore a beret that could jump-start a car by
)))))))))))))))))) +++disconnected

Brett Dikeman <brett@pdikeman.ne.mediaone.net> on 04/14/99 09:25:20 AM

To:   Glen Powell/US/3Com
cc:   Phil Rose <pjrose@servtech.com>, 200q20v@pdikeman.ne.mediaone.net,
Subject:  Re: tailpipe/kitty questions

Yhea, ok, I'll stick my mouth on the tailpipe, right...
How about I just start up the car, cover one side with my hand...if I
can, then tada, it's a single-cavity muffler; at idle, the remaining
exhaust should easily go through the other tip.  If my hand is pushed
away hard or the car starts making funny noises, tada, it's probably
a dual chamber... remembering that our cars are only dual from after
the downpipe...
At 6:49 AM -0400 4/14/99, Glen_Powell@ne.3com.com wrote:
>One....one....one pipe or two...., that is the question!
>Try blowing into one pipe and see if there is flow out the other with
>little or no resistance, if so, then they are likely connected together in
>that rear box. Now wipe that soot off your lips and face! If there is some
>resistance felt then one would need to disconnect the pipe at the cat,
>the pipe at the cat and repeat the test. With the pipe sealed off at the
>cat and zero flow then we do have two isolated systems.
Brett Dikeman
"Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell and making
them happy to be on their way." - Mark Twain
"Oh no.  Not again." - The bowl of Petunias
"... it is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a
big enough hammer." -- Sun System & Network Admin manual
Statler: "Hey, this one sounds cute."
Waldorf: "You old fool, that's not the personals, it's the obituaries!"