[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

an UrQ can power oversteer?

hey all, just got back from my test run after rebuilding the whole 
shifter assembly and the rest of the linkage, along with replacing the 
heater valve, and numerous other little things.

Anyway, i have the rear seat out, no spare, no trunk lining (it was 
damaged by water), and obviously, nothing in the trunk.......

Anyway, i took it out for a test drive right now, and it was awesome.  
Number one, the shifting was sooo nice.  You should have seen the parts 
that came out of there.  The lower shift ball was only half there, the 
bearing shells were cracked, the shift lever itself was broken in half 
and had a bolt run up through the bottom of it, on which the now broken 
top half of the shift lever rested, free to rotate and i could lift it 
right off of the rest of the assembly.  It shook and rattled, and 
vibrated, much to my dissapointment.  On top of that, because of the fact 
that the linkage was way out of adjustment (the length is supposed to be 
i think 5.274 inches, it was at something like 4.85 inches, so it was way 
out) and that the shifter assembly was so badly worn, the shifting used 
to be horrible.  i would have to fight to get it in first all the time, 
and it was sooo notchy.  Now, it is incredibly smooth.  Feels even better 
than my 4kq and that is sayin alot...wow...

Now of course, the shift lever is way too long, so i have to cut it down 
about 2 inches and rethread it.  Anyone have the thread/inch count on 
this or the correct die to get?  Sears sells really cool tap and die sets 
for not all that much money, i figure i will pick one up and make myself 
a bit of a short shift kit kind of thing...

Back to the handling.  Im running 40psi front and rear, which originally 
(about a week ago), made a huge difference in the neutrality of the car.  
At first, when i first got the car, i was running 44/36 as i was in my 
4kq, it was ok, but didnt work the same in the UrQ.  Then on some 
recommendations, i tried raising the rear way up, so i was running 42/44 
for a while, but that still didnt work all that great...understeer city/. 
 So, then i got the bright idea to get my eye to the ground and take a 
look at the contact patch profile for the front and then for the rear.  
Tehy were both slightly crowned, so i though, hmm...i will lower the 
pressure a bit to get a larger patch...I then went to 40/40.  Much better.

Now though, without that weight and such in the back, it just handles so 
well.  It would be perfectly neutral in the corner, then as i powered on, 
(usually, the inside front wheel would spin), this time, it was the rear 
wheels that were doing hte spinning..(well, sorta).  I was able to keep 
turning, but the tail was coming out just slightly.  Perfectly 
controllable, but enough to be very fast without much effort.  

I swear, it is noisy as hell right now without all that stuff, but with 
the way it handles, im not putting anything back in for a long time....

jsut wanted to let you all know... :o)



Michael Sheridan Williams
ICQ# 11740998
1983 UrQuattro, MC--1.8 BAR, borla, 16x7.5 OZ Mito's w/ SP8000's, K&N
1985 4000S Quattro miles, Koni Yellows/Coilover (2B), strut brace, Sport 
8000 Tires, K&N