Re: Ur-rocket/brakes

At 09:56 AM 5/2/99 EDT, Autobahn01@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 4/30/99 11:09:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, joukoh@vtoy.fi
>> They are running A8 calipers and rotors,
>>  which with a little modification can be utilized with the standard 8"
>>  Ronals.
>Interesting! So the stock A8 calipers and rotors will clear under an ur-q
>15x8 rim? Did they detail what the "little mod" happened to be. I'd be up to
>looking into that as I put my white ur-q back together. Joukoh, are the
>housings still stock ur-q? Was that car ABS equipped?
>John, Does your Boxster caliper/A8 rotor combo clear a 15x8 ur-q rim?
>Chris Semple

Chris and all:

I sold my 15x8 ur-q rims, so I can't check the fit.  However, I'm
99.9999999% sure our Boxster/A8 setup will NOT fit under those wheels.  The
Boxster (and all Brembo/Porsche 4 piston fixed calipers) are too wide to
fit under wheels with recessed wheel spokes.  The Boxster calipers are
better than most, but still are a bit WIDE.

I don't doubt that A8 calipers and rotors could be used on a urq under 15"
urq wheels with modifications -- like turn down the outer diameter of the
A8 rotors significantly! <grin>

The best thing to do would be to call the people who did this directly.
The q-list will only be able to give you speculative answers that may cost
you $$$ and much time (BTDT).

The help from the q-list over the years is/has been great.  However, when
you're pushing the envelope as much as you want to on a system that
protects your life, it is best to get information directly from the source!
 A 10 minute call over the ocean might cost you $30, but will probably save
you hours of time and hundreds of dollars.

Good luck and please keep the list posted on any results (good or bad).

Best Regards,

John Karasaki