87 90q: dash lights out

Hi all,

No replies yet, so I'll resend-

Yesterday my dash lights and light warning buzzer stopped working.
Everything else on fuse 12 is still OK. Any BTDTs on common problems here
before I get out the Bentley and start measuring everything? It's a type
89/B3 model 90q.

Addition: the lights on the heater controls (three knobs, no a/c in this
car!) are also RIP. Does this ring a bell for anyone? I've tried reading
wiring diagrams, but they're abracadabra to me...

TIA for all your suggestions!

 1987 Audi 90q 2.3E, Tizianrot metallic, 167,000km

              Imagination is more important than knowledge.
                                     -- Albert Einstein