[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Afterrun coolant pump: Summary of feedback
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about the Chevy part
number for the after run pump replacement. Below is a summary of the
responses I had.
The afterrun pump circulates coolant through the engine and turbo after
the engine has been shut off. The pump is controlled by a therno switch
mounted close to the water outlet from the engine to the radiator. The
pump can be found by looking on top of the ABS servo and following the T
in the radiator hose.
The plastic Bosch pump becomes brittle after a while and cracks or
breaks off where the inlet pipe joins onto the pump. Or it just stops
It seems that the part WE ( There are many of us) are after is used for
drag racing...they don't want they drag of a constant pump, and don't
need the water flow for a quick run.
The people who supply a pump is Shogun Systems.
The part number is P1449D, the price is $ 78.95 and is described as a
remote water pump which is part of their cooling kit for dragsters.
The company is located in Prior lake MN; 1 800 527 5665 tech line # is
612 447 6784
You can look them up at http://www.shogunsystems.com/
or E Mail them at email@example.com
I have sent them E-mail on behalf of those interested to make sure that
we are talking about the same product and to negotiate a discount for
I HAVE WAITED TWO DAYS FOR A REPLY AND NOTHING HAS HAPPENED.
The description on the pump from the archive is below:
* The pump is a 12Volt coolant pump and is designed to act as a water
pump for a small block Chevy,
* Electrical draw is under 10AMP and when the coolant is hot the
electrical draw is only 2 AMP, as a comparison, the draw on the rad. fan
lowest speed) is between 11-13 AMP
* The pump is NOT magnetically driven, it is driven by a shaft with a
high temperature impeller (when you get the pump you get 2 spare
* Dia. of the pump is app. 2.5" and length is under 6"
* The pump section is all SS
* The flow capacity of the pump is many time over the Audi pump
(designed to replace the water pump on a small block Chevy)
* The pump will fit very nicely in the same location of the old pump
* I wired it with a relay just to be on the safe side.
* The pump runs noticeably less time than the OEM pump, probably because
it is a REAL pump not a "piss poor" (engineering terminology) excuse for
(credit avi meron with the above information...)
89 200T (Stuffed afterrun pump)
Durban South Africa.