Re: 5+5 Brake Upgrades

Chris writes:
>     I'm Looking at upgrading the brakes on my '81 5+5. I'm considering using
> 256 mm (10.1") Vented Discs with the 100 mm Bolt pattern and new calipers.
> What i would like to know is which VW's or Audi's had this sort of setup ?

The most convenient bolt-on swap for this is the 10.1" vented rotors and
calipers from a 1987 and later VW Scirocco 16V (not the 8V models).  I did
this on my 4000 and it fit perfectly (4x100mm).

>     I have already tryed just about every VW and Audi Wrecking Yard and they
> all seem to think this setup does not exist, but my haynes manual shows the
> 256 mm Discs on the later Audi 80's ('85 to '87, but I'm not sure whether
> these had the different bolt pattern or not).

Most of the Audis that came stock with 10.1" front brakes had 4x108mm hubs,
so they won't fit without changing wheels too.

96 A4 2.8 quattro
84 5000S 2.1 turbo
80 4000 2.0
   ///   AMB Research Laboratories, Sunnyvale, CA. USA
  ///    ti@amb.org
 //////  http://metalab.unc.edu/tkan/