Re: 4KSQ CO Adjustment

In message <199907290630.XAA12521@mt.arias.net> "Romeo Shayne Pavlic'" writes:

> Is there anyway to get the CO adjustment close without using a gas analyzer
> (something I don't currently own)?  Also, what is the adjustment screw on
> the top of the intake manifold right under the throttle linkage?

a) In despair at finding a decent portable analyser, I've adopted
   Roger Galvin's 'Colortune' technique.  With practice, you can get
   very close indeed to the results you would get with a proper 4-gas
   analyser.  The Gunson portable gas analyser is, IMO, next to useless
   except for generating lottery numbers.  The adjustment is _very_
   sensitive - so much so that Bosch and Audi both recommend always
   doing the setting from the same direction.  I.e., if you think a
   3 degree clockwise movement appropriate, go back ten and forward
   thirteen.  The adjuster is a long 3mm hex key - get one with a fixed
   T-handle that's at least four inches long.  Take the key out after
   each adjustment and blip the throttle.  DO NOT LEAVE THE KEY IN.

b) Leave it alone.

 Phil Payne
 UK Audi quattro Owners Club
 Phone: 0385 302803   Fax: 0870 0883933