[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: 5Ktq-Gremlins

Hello Cassidy. This is a private post. I have a 1987 5kcstq and just
finished replacing all the worn ball joints and bushings in the rear
suspension. See number 42.15 in your Bentley if you have one.

I disagree with Kneale with regard to "what your mechanic was talking
about." I see no reason to disagree with him in a public way on the list,
since this matters mainly to you.

I think it is probable that he was referring to what Bentley calls the
upper ball joint transverse link, which must be replaced complete with its
outer bushing, and mine cost $143.05 each. (Very near your $160.)Both sides
were badly worn and were allowing tire scrub because the rear end could not
be aligned until they were replaced. The tire wear was on the inside edge,
and it ruined one tire because I had to wait several weeks for the parts.

My mechanic called these things by several other names, but I never
discussed that with him. We were under the car and he was pointing to the
parts, so I didn't care about terminology: He called them at different
times 'rear upper control arm mounts' and 'rear ball joints.' Labor to
remove the old ones and put in the new ones was $123.75 total for whole job
including both sides.

I also had the rear lower trapezoidal control arm bushings replaced. These
are bonded rubber bushings which must be pressed out.  They cost $39.50
each and labor to R & R both sides was again $123.75. 

Then I had an alignment, and the car handles very well now. Previous to the
repairs, it made a banging sound when it went over railroad tracks or
bumps. It was the trapezoidal control arm bushings banging around.

Hope you find this useful.  

Doyt Echelberger
86 4kq
87 5kcstq   156k

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:06:36 -0400

>From my reading of your description and the reviewing the family photos
album, it looks like you're talking about the wheel bearing housing,
Cassidy.  They're 443 505 431 B for the left side and 432 B for the right.
I don't see a separate part for just a bushing.  The housing, as I
understand it, includes the hub.  You'd want bearings too, if my review of
the pictures is correct.  I've not worked on this part of my '87 5kcstq
yet, but the squeaks coming from there when everything dries out for
several days indicate I'll have to soon.

Kneale Brownson

At 12:09 PM 9/20/99 -0400, Cassidy Bolger wrote:
>When I step on the brake pedal or turn on the headlights the same two 
>alternating warning lights flash.  The owner's manual tells me to check 
>brake pads and lights.  Everything checks out.  How do I even begin to hunt 
>this one down.  I possess a volt-meter that I have used once and am fairly 
>capable of complex thought.  Is this enough to chase Gremlins?
>Also, failed state safety inspection for worn part in rear suspension.  
>Mechanic can't come up with a name.  They are bushings that the outboard end 
>the the rear tie rods link into.  The housing looks to be attached to the 
>hub, and a bolt runs though a cylindrical extrusion where the tie rod end 
>and bushing are.  Mechanic says $160 each from the dealer.  What is it 
>called and I know there are cheaper ones out there.  Any one?  Any one?  
>danke schon
>*1986 5000CS turbo quattro
>*big fat college loans