Re: 4kq Moaning and groaning

> My 86 4kq 'moans' when starting lately.  I believe it has something to do
> with the vacuum reservoir in the fenderwell (I presume there's one in
> there...) as it goes away once the engine has revved a few times.  I did have
> to take out the vacuum assist piston rod as it was clacking something
> horrible.  I hope this isn't the cause.

different systems though.  the pump is for the brake servo only.  the
reservoir is drawn by mfld vacuum, and runs the fresh/recirc flap - and
maybe your diff locks too?  Not sure if they have their own reservoir or

Still an interesting theory for cold engine funny noises...

> Also, the diff's don't seem to lock/unlock with the knob.  I have to roll the
> car back and forth a few times to disengage.  Ideas?

I think you have to roll the car a bit, that is normal and proper.

Huw Powell

82 Audi Coupe; 84 4kq; 85 Coupe GT; 73 F250