Re: plastic welding?

Plastic "welding" is a practiced trade,  Huw.  A place to start for leads
on finding a practitioner might be ski  repair shops.  You also might check
with folks who fabricate/repair plastic signs, building entrance awnings,
underwater camera cases, architectural aquariums, etc.  I believe the
processes include both heat-gun welding and solvent-applied welding.

Kneale Brownson