[200q20v] Is my thermostat stuck open?

Mike Miller mikemilr at blackfoot.net
Mon Nov 6 21:25:16 EST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: <Brian.Link at Level3.com>

: Thanks,
: It gets off the low peg but does not go much past the second or third
: I have heat, I just get worried that my oil temp doesn't get much past 60
: From flying airplanes, I was always told to get the oil up to 255 F ~ 123
: to burn off water/contaminates.   Does this apply to our cars?  Thanks for
: all the advice it sounds like my thermostat is working.
: Brian Link.
: Boulder, CO

I would say your thermostat is stuck open. Same symptoms as mine when it has
stuck open the last 3 times.  They seem to last about 3-6 months before
starting to stick open and maybe a year before they are fully stuck open.

When I replace mine, water temp runs right on the thick mark almost all the
time and oil on the thick  mark between 60 and 100.  After about 3-6 months,
the water temp starts dropping below the thick mark and the oil temp also
drops. When stuck fully open, the oil temp reaches 1/2 way between 60 and
the first mark and water temp about three marks from the bottom.  And yes,
the heater always works. I do run the Audi $15/gal anti freeze and flush
regularly. No idea why the damn thermostats have such a short life
expectancy. I've owned the car over 4 yrs and had 3 thermostats installed.
The current one is going bad. I doubt it lasts the winter.

mike miller
Quattroing in Montana with 4 inches of new snow, snow tires on and a new
tranny !  Tranny cost total about $1400 installed.

Work done this year: (~130k miles)
New Bilsteins (HD) all around
Two sets of tires (summer and winter)
Rear brakes (rotors and pads) and front pads (UFOs)
Spark Plugs
Michelin Man hose
Water reservoir
1 new (used) headlight

Coming up:
Timing belt (again)
Dash lights/speedo repair
Glove box latch
Maybe PS hose - was leaking and seems to have quit. Added a pint of pentosin
over about a month and none in the last 3 months.