[200q20v] Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube for tranny

C1J1Miller at aol.com C1J1Miller at aol.com
Fri Nov 17 13:55:55 EST 2000

Seen some recent posts about what transmission fluid to use in your quattro.
Took a look at the Mobil 1 site, and found the technical info for their
transmission fluid here:

"Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant is suitable for all automotive applications
lubricants meeting MIL-PRF-2105E, API Service GL-5, are recommended. It can
also be used in rear axles where an API Service GL-4 lubricant is
recommended. It
should not be used in any transmissions requiring an engine oil or automatic
transmission fluid, or GL-4 performance level."

Reread that last line; it is my understanding that the quattro manual tranny
requires a GL-4 spec, at least through '91, my car's model year.  So, don't
use Mobil 1 in the front.
Chris Miller, Windham NH, c1j1miller at aol.com