[200q20v] re: stock bypass valve, TBV

Brett Dikeman brett at pdikeman.ne.mediaone.net
Wed Sep 13 22:49:41 EDT 2000

At 1:21 AM +0000 9/14/00, Paul Friedenberg wrote:
>Mine seems to go out about every 6-12 months, but I tried a valve
>from TAP, and subsequently bent some vanes on my brand new RS2
>turbo, so I would advise sticking with the stock one. Just replace
>it when you hear the WG "chatter." Blau seems to have a decent price
>of $45. Better than a rebuilt RS2!!

Porsche makes a metal replacement valve that costs about the same.
Call any posche parts place and ask for a TBV for a 996 twin turbo.

It's substantially more durable.

>just a passing thought, but has anyone considered putting a blow off
>valve on in place of the turbo bypass valve (ot throttle overrun
>cutout, what ever you want to call it..)  I really have no clue
>about whether it would work, but it would be interesting to find out

Don't.  Blowoff valves dump metered air.  The result is a sudden,
extreme rich condition which eats catalytic converters.  There is no
reason to use a blowoff valve in a street car.  No reason to use one
in a race/track car unless you've done a lot of other stuff to the
car.  The clowns running around with blowoff valves on their A4's are
going to be real sorry in a few years when they have trashed
catalytic converters...of course, I bet all the A4 performance tuners
will be more than happy to sell them "performance" cat converters to
replace those "restrictive" cats on their cars.

Brett Dikeman				Systems Engineer
CFN(formerly iClick, Inc)			914-872-8043
120 Bloomingdale Rd.			914-872-8100(fax)
White Plains, NY 10605			http://www.iclick.com
PGP Fingerprint: 06C2 5D5B D2B4 7626  BB24 2BBC 9E4A C8B3
PGP Key location: http://pdikeman.ne.mediaone.net/pgp/brett.pgp